Sikkim airport named as Pakyong, constructed at the Gangtok city. Additionally, this airport is all set to give thrilling experiences and beautiful scenes at flies. The Pakyong Airport project, one of the tallest reinforced soil structures in the world.
Pkyong Airport constructed at 4500 ft is one of the five highest airports. Also, the first greenfield airport in India and the only one in Sikkim. Here is some of the highlights about the Pakyong.
- Earlier, Sikkim is the only city with no airport accessibility. But, the nearest commute point as airport was Bagdogra, located 124kms from the place.
- Pakyong Airport construction approved by Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs in October 2008.
- Punj lloyd were given the project of Rs 2,640 million. They constructed its runway, taxiway, apron drainage system and electrical work at greenfield in January 2009.
- A building with the capacity of 100 passengers and80 vehicle and a fire station cum Air Traffic Control Tower constructed by Ms PABSCON.
- IAF Dornier 228 landed for the first time on 5th March 2018.
- PM Narenda Modi Ji will inaugurate the airport on 23rd September, 2018 and the airport will set to take off.
- Takeoff experience of beautiful scenes will be the beauty and makes it a unique airport for the passengers.
- October 8, the flights will be in operation by the SpiceJet between Kolkata and Guwahati wnder the Union Civil Aviation Ministry’s UDAN (Ude Desh Ka Aam Nagrik) scheme.